|By Franz Metzger, Class of 1958|
|Click on photos to enlarge|
|(1) New Grand Hotel, built in 1927. Annex Tower, built in 1991.
For more about this hotel, the Web page is:
|(2) Nr. 7 English House
This building, formerly known as English House Nr. 7, constructed circa 1922, tells us what Yokohama's foreign residential area once looked like. It is the only foreign trading house remaining from before the Great Kanto Earthquake. Presently, "Peace Memorial Hall". Next or behind the Nr. 7 house is the "Sokagakkai" religious group's building. Peace Memorial Hall also belongs to Sokagakkai. Was this the location of the former Standard Oil building?
|(3) Right foreground is The Yokohama Novotel (The Hotel Yokohama)
former American Consulate site, English House Nr. 7 and New Grand Hotel tower in the background.
|(4) Yamashitakoen Dori Avenue.|
|(5) Yamashitakoen park, with Hikawa-maru.
Hikawa-maru: 11,622 gross tonnage, built in 1927.
For more on Hikawa-maru, the Web page is:
|(6) Yamashitakoen, New Grand Hotel and Marine Tower.|
|(7) Man feeding sea-gull.
In the background, a passenger liner is berthed at Osanbashi.
|(8) Yamashitakoen, Intercontinental Hotel and Osanbashi.|
|Past and Present||Osanbashi.|